Friday, April 18, 2008

Always Remember - VT 4/16/07

I just now have a little time to post about this. Wednesday was the 1 year anniversary of the shootings at VT. I can't believe a year has passed since that day. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting here at my desk when the horrifying news started to break. I was getting emails from everyone saying all these crazy things that I couldn't even believe. I remember my mom sending one saying the death count was at 32. I forwarded it to Nick with a note that said "she must be wrong". I just couldn't believe something like that was happening in Blacksburg. It's hard to understand whenever something like that happens, but it was just unimaginable to me that it was taking place at my school. Blacksburg was always such a safe place. We rarely locked the door to our apartment and never had any trouble. I now realize it is true that bad things can happen to anyone, anywhere. I remember sitting here just reading the news websites and emails all day long. People were coming up to me and making comments and trying to talk about it, but I didn't want to talk to any of them. None of them could even begin to imagine how I felt...the only ones I wanted to talk to were other Hokies, who were going through the same thing. I am so proud of the entire Hokie Nation and how far we have come since that day. I could go on and on, but I just don't have the time this morning.

We did attend a memorial ceremony that the alumni association of Jax put on at the University of North Florida. There were about 20 people there, and it was really nice just to be around some fellow Hokies. My heart goes out to the families of the victims, and to everyone who was effected by this horrible tragedy.

No comments: