Sunday, July 26, 2009

My First 5K!

Well, I did it! About 3 months ago I started an interval training program called "Couch 2 5K" that promised you would be able to run a 5k once you completed the 9 week program. I had my doubts when I first started since I have never been able to run to the end of the driveway without running out of breath!! Luckily it started out slow and during the first week I only had to run for 60 seconds at a time. Well, that was A LOT for me especially b/c I decided that I would start out running on the bridges downtown! After every workout, I was so excited and felt so good that I completed it and that gave me the motivation to keep going on the program!! The weeks went by and I was slowly progressing distance and time wise! I set my sights on running this 5k b/c it was the same area that I was accustomed to running. I was making a much smaller loop than the 3.2 miles, but I was already going over both bridges that were included in the 5k. Well, weather kept delaying my running program (I run at lunch b/c it is the only "me" time I have during the day) and I ended up finishing it the Monday before the 5k! I was so nervous that I wasn't ready for the race, but once I got started I knew I had made the right choice! It was exhillarating to be out there running with all of those people!! I got through the first 1.5 miles with no problem, but going up the Acosta bridge was really tough. I knew that if I could just get to the top that I would be fine..it was literally "all downhill from there"!! I made it over the bridge and through the rest of the race. As I was coming down the street to the finish line, I saw Nick and the boys cheering me on. I was so happy at that moment that I started to cry! I just couldn't believe I had really done it and I was SO HAPPY to see those 3 smiling faces!! I crossed the finish line and looked up to see the clock read 34:29!!!! WOOOOHOOOO! I am already looking forward to running another race (hopefully in September)!

THE COURSE

Before the Race


About to cross the finish line!!!


So Happy!!



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you!!!

JESSICA said...

That is so inspirational!I never get the time at work to get a lunch let alone a jog!I definitly need to try something like that if I can find the time!

Christen said...

Congrats! That's awesome!